Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Mangrove trees and powder sand

We spent Easter in Florida this year with my parents and sister Jan's family. Here are some highlights...

-The most beautiful beach in the world--Siesta Key Beach...powder white sand, and a nice wind that keeps the waves "exciting" and cools you off in that early spring weather. Henry loved jumping in the waves with Mike, covering his feet in sand, and shoveling. Henry started shoveling before he even stepped off the boardwalk. I don't know how much he remembers of the beaches in Italy. He did taste the sand again...o.k., it wasn't just a taste, it was like 2 handfulls--and he chewed it. Yuck! Andrew (who mastered "sitting" on the trip) liked touching the sand, but didn't taste any himself.
-Easter egg dyeing. Henry made some interesting color combinations (i.e. orange after blue).

-Church Easter Egg hunt/activities. Where Henry got to hug the Easter bunny again!! And go figure, the Easter bunny in FL had the SAME clothes as the one at our hunt here! Here he is wearing the cool visor he made. He stuck like 8 foamy shapes on top of each other...creative!

-Canoe trip through mangrove trees. So surreal looking. Too bad I didn't take a camera. Here we are pulling away from shore.


-Meeting up with my college friend, Jen & her adorable daughter Isabella. I have been blessed by seeing Jen every couple years since college...(although I wish we could get together more), but this time I also got to meet her cutie pie daughter! Henry likes to say that he was "sharing the blue shovel with Isabella at the beach." He was actually forced to share, after pushing her down, apologizing, giving her a hug, and finally handing over the shovel.

-Enjoying my parents new house. The back of their house is all sliding glass doors overlooking a lake with egrets, ibis', pelicans, turtles, and gators. One of the gators (6 footer) actually swam right up to my parents' shoreline (about 30 feet from their house)! And although I was quite concerned about the safety of my children, mom reassured me (numerous times) that gators are nocturnal eaters & don't go for "vertical" objects.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Monahan family. It was good to see Jen. I don't think I have seen her since we graduated. You all have so much fun and I enjoy reading the stories and seeing the pictures!!!

Dana