Monday, June 29, 2009

what a wake up...

This is a good/bad story...that just happened...and I want to record it, so that neither Henry OR I let this happen again!

About an hr. ago I was taking a nap, when I awoke to someone REALLY knocking on the door. I then hear a conversation between Henry & a women's voice: "My mom's upstairs." "Should I ring the doorbell then?" "Oh, yeah." And then I hear the doorbell. So I groggily (if that's a word), come downstairs and open the door for a women named Nancy. She then tells me that she just wanted to introduce herself because she just walked Henry back from "down the street quite a ways away." He apparently was walking to the "rocks playground." She probably knew something was fishy, when she saw a three year old without shoes, walking in a Superman shirt (see previous post--he wears it every night and every nap), with his underwear on backwards--with therefore a big wedgie. (He likes the "character" in the front).

After I thanked Nancy and she left, Henry and I had a little talk about going outside without a grown up. Ugh.

I am soooooo grateful that Nancy (a teacher of 2-6 yr. olds) found him and that her son recognized him and knew where we lived. I cannot imagine waking up and not finding him in the house...and then "hopefully" finding him at the playground a mile away in his jammie shirt & undies. Ugh!!!

Even though he says he won't do it again, needless to say, if I EVER take a nap again, I will be locking (& chaining) all doors!!

4 comments:

Fit Dani said...

Luckily we were in Sig when we went through that phase with Reese escaping and not even during naps. I would be upstiars or taking care of something and he woul duse the broom to unlock the chair lock at the top of the door! Yeah ... smart little booger!
Dont worry even the best of moms it happens too... BUT YES SET THE ALARM AND LOCK THE DOORS! If I ever take a nap i always turn the alarm on so I can hear it chime if he tries to sneak!

Francie said...

Owen escaped my house twice (yep, once out the front door, then a few weeks later out the garage door). I can relate to how scary it can be to think of the what ifs! The first time it happened I saw the door open and frantically ran outside to find him at the neighbor's swingset. The second time our next door neighbor brought him home after hearing him call for her son outside his window. YIKES! I invested in childproof door handles, and he hasn't figured them out yet! WHEW!!

Anonymous said...

We share your anxiety for an inquisitive son who doesn't want to nap. Grateful that you spent the time and energy, to introduce yourselves to your neighborhood, so that Henry could be returned in HASTE. God bless you all as you rest in your home, together, tonight. Gram and Grampy

sandra mae said...

SCARY! sounds like you remained relatively calm in talking with Henry- I am impressed!
I will call you this week!! :)